Joining Islamic Society (ISOC)


While I was at university doing a degree in Sociology, Alhamdulillah I had the opportunity to join the Islamic society. However, at first I just went to the fresher’s fair without any real inclination of joining anything. In fact I went there just out of curiosity of what student union can offer us. During the first year I was more involved in study and getting to know my lecturers and seminar tutors.

Since second year I started getting involved in the Islamic society and there was no going back since then. I felt really at home around the wonderful sisters. There are so many things to learn from them. It actually made me inspired to become more practising. The more I participated in the activities, I felt I need to do more to boost my faith. Seeing the sisters being so active and helping each other so sincerely, I felt there is no other place I would rather be. After my lectures and seminars I would rush to the Islamic society building. I don’t think it just happened to me but all the other sisters I knew shared the same feelings, alhamdulillah. It felt like Islam has brought us together in the university environment. Even the sisters who reverted to Islam would feel really friendly from the very beginning in that sort of environment. The differences of race or ethnicity did not have any effect on us. The feeling of strong sisterhood was all over the place. We used to have Quran classes (Tajweed), sisters discussion group and so many other things which made us feel proud to be Muslims. Especially as sisters we felt empowered by each other. We became more aware of ourselves. We used to have sisters party where we all enjoyed our time a lot. Non-Muslim sisters were also invited and they used to enjoy as well. That was a very good dawah activity for us.

In this day and age when Islam is portrayed as something very dangerous and backward, Islamic societies in different universities are trying to convey the real message of Islam. There are lot of sincere brothers and sisters who are working hard to bridge the gap between Muslims and non-Muslims. They are also helping those Muslim students who are suffering from identity crisis. Islamic societies across the UK create a sense of belonging. It helps us to feel confident and united as Muslims, Alhamdulillah. It also provides us with a platform in university environment. Through them lots of Muslim brothers and sisters get involved in student union and other sectors of academic institution.

Maintaining good company in university environment is very crucial for every one of us. The three or four years in university can make a huge difference. Who you are mixing with is very important to think about. Bad company can ruin your life. As Muslims we believe that our life is an amanah from Allah SWT. We will be asked how we used it. Thus being in Islamic society during university life helps us to enjoy the rare company of good brothers and sisters who love each other for the sake of Allah SWT. Here I would like to remind you the status of two who love one another for the sake of Allah swt. It is mentioned in Muslim, that Allah the Almighty Lord will take care of them who loved each other for His sake on the Day of Judgement and will say: “Where are those who loved one another for My Glory? Today I will shade them in My shade on the Day when there is no shade but Mine.” Subhanallah what else do we need?

I would recommend all the sisters and brothers who will start their university life very soon to join their university Islamic society and get actively involved in it, Insha-Allah. Trust me; you won’t regret it. Insha-Allah. Wish you all the best.

May Allah SWT make us good Muslims , ameen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tajweed notes on makharij

Five years Alhamdulillah :-)

A precious bond